Alternative Gift: Donation to Build New Weavers' Workshop
A one-time price of $0.00 will be added to your order.
2 Left in Stock
Manufacturer: Building Goodness Foundation
- Customer Reviews (0)
Click HERE to donate.
A Thread of Hope and Asociación Maya are working with Building Goodness Foundation (BGF) in Charlottesville VA to raise $500,000 to construct a new headquarters, showroom, and weaving center for the co-op. The co-op has already invested over $50,000 in purchasing the land and in architect and engineering fees, and has committed to invest another $50,000 in the project. Building Goodness is an impressive organization with great values and people.
The project will provide a safer, larger, facility where the co-op can:
- have enough space to at least triple its production capacity and thus its ability to provide more well-paying work for its member weavers and other staff;
- have an appealing space for a retail store, wholesale showroom, and education center, near an established tourist destination, thus increasing retail sales and overall earnings;
- provide a lunchroom/presentation space for tour groups to have a traditional Guatemalan meal while learning more about the co-op and its community—weaving, the history of the co-op and its local communities, Guatemalan socioeconomic conditions, Mayan culture, and rural Mayan daily life. Through building a network of tourists who feel more connected to the co-op, the women hope to develop “friends of Asociación Maya” who will contribute to scholarships for their children and sponsor community development projects;
- provide meeting space for indigenous women to participate in workshops about women’s health, healthy relationships, healing from trauma, medicinal herbs, co-ops, business management, and many other topics;
- have room for tourists to participate in week-long hand-dyeing and backstrap loom weaving workshops while living on site with staff;
- provide workers with a safe dormitory to avoid arduous daily commutes home; and
- offer a safe, structurally sound, energy-efficient building for workers and customers.
Check out this video and this video from one of Building Goodness Foundation’s site visits to the co-op.
This video includes an interview with the architect.
Click HERE to donate.
There are no reviews yet, submit yours in the box provided.
Submitting Your Review, Please Wait
Your Review Has Been Submitted Successfully
Add a review for Alternative Gift: Donation to Build New Weavers' Workshop
You must include a title, rating, and message in your review.
Your Review Title